AC Milan may be in the title race, but they’ve fallen to second after consecutive Serie A defeats. The Rossoneri have failed to win in four after drawing both legs of their Europa League clash with Red Star Belgrade.
The two teams both progressed in the Europa League on Thursday, but neither look convincing going into this big top-four showdown this night.
Here are few insights of the match:
- After the 3-3 draw in the reverse fixture, AC Milan and AS Roma could draw both Serie A games in a season for the first time since the 1999/2000 campaign.
- AS Roma won their last Serie A home meeting against AC Milan: the last manager to win two successive league matches at home against them was Fabio Capello in 2003.
- AS Roma have collected the most points at home in Serie A this season (30), whilst AC Milan have won the most points away from home (28) so fan
- As Roma are unbeaten in their last 16 home league matches (WI 2 D4), their longest run since February 2017 (24).
- AC Milan have lost four Serie A games in 2021, two more than they had lost in the whole of 2020 – only in 1936 have they lost five top-flight games in the first two months of the year.
Milan make six changes from the side that edged through on away goals against Red Star Belgrade in the Europa League in midweek, with Zlatan Ibrahimovic – in the news for the wrong reasons this week – back to lead their attack.
Roma too make a host of changes from the side who beat Braga – but they’ll be without Edin Dzeko up front, following a groin strain.